The residue of your estate (i.e. all your property not previously gifted in your Will) needs to be considered and in many Wills this is gifted outright, for example, to the surviving spouse or registered civil partner. However, there are other options and in some situations you may wish to give someone a life interest in the residue so that on the death of that person it passes to other beneficiaries.

This is often appropriate when someone has re-married and has children of a previous marriage. Or you may wish to make the Will discretionary as you have no set ideas and think it likely that your circumstances or those of the potential beneficiaries might change.

In such a case your Will would be backed up by a Letter of Wishes expressing your thoughts as to the devolution of your estate for your Executors and Trustees to follow.